The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Friday, June 5, 2015

Vegan, No Oats No Bake Gluten Free Cereal Bars (nut free option)





I've been making variations of these energy bars for over 10 years now. I've taken them traveling, I've taken them on days when I was shuttling between school, work, and dance rehearsals and out all day on the road.

I even took a big batch of them to Europe this past February - March when I was traveling there for a month. They were a lifesaver for a allergy-laden mostly vegetarian girl like me when I needed something filling, or something with protein. 

And did I mention they were easy? Super easy. If you've been following me for a while, you'll know I like easy.

And there's so many ways you can tweak this to suit you (and whatever's in your cupboard!)




I actually stopped making these for a while when I couldn't figure out a gluten-free, oat-free, nut-free version to replace the original recipe (found in the Vancouver Sun magazine). Looking around, I found it was incredibly difficult to actually find any sort of gluten-free, nut-free, oat-free energy / protein bars. Finally, with some finagling, and many, many versions I came up with this tasty, healthy super simple no-bake option.

Why nut-free and oat-free? Well gluten free oats are not always easy to find, and if you happen to be allergic to oats anyway (or nuts) you need an alternative!


One of the ways I switch these up is by adding chopped red goji berries from time to time, for a tart flavour.





Ingredients for Vegan, Gluten Free No Bake Snack Bars (makes 16 squares)

4 cups vegan, gluten free brown rice cereal (I like these sprouted brown rice crisps)
1/2 cup finely chopped dried fruit - like raisins, cranberries, blueberries, or goji berries (see the red berries in the photos)
1/2 cup chopped nuts OR seeds like flax, hemp, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower, etc.

1/2 cup peanut butter OR other nut or seed butter (wanna make your own? Check my post on making seed and nut butters)
1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey for a non-vegan option)
1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla


Directions

Grease a 9x9" baking dish.

1. In a medium-sized bowl, toss together brown rice cereal, dried fruit, and nuts.

2. In a large bowl, mix peanut / seed butter, molasses, maple syrup, and chocolate chips. Microwave the butter mix for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla, then mix in cereal mix. Press into baking dish (get your hands in there) and let cool. Cut into 16 squares.

For a non-vegan snack, I love crumbling these over yogurt. For a vegan option, you could mix them into vegan ice cream.


What's your favorite traveling snack?





Have you seen my gluten free pasta book  Recipes for Unusual Gluten Free Pasta: Pierogis, Dumplings, Desserts and More! ? Get yourself a copy and start making GF won tons, pierogis, dumplings, and orzo today :)  
 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOBSVDI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KOBSVDI&linkCode=as2&tag=pooandglufr03-20&linkId=XQEAIRXIVZUMBNGU




This post was shared on the following great link parties: Plant Based Potluck Party, Meatless Monday on the Fit Foodie Mama, Meatless Monday on Tina Muir,

7 comments:

  1. These look like a great treat! I love a simple no-bake snack that can be healthy and feel like a treat at the same time. I have all these ingredients at home too - bonus! Thanks for linking up with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Cassandra! I like these because they're not as sweet as a lot of other protein / snack bars, too, so they're easy to munch on :)

      Delete
  2. Mmmmm these sound great for on the go, and you are right they are easy! That makes a huge difference! Thanks so much for linking up with us, I hope we see you on meatless monday linkup every eek from now on :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wil give these a try I haveceliac and now oats is a problem will be happy if this works for me thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wil give these a try I haveceliac and now oats is a problem will be happy if this works for me thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you enjoy the bars, I eat them all the time!!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...