The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Friday, July 31, 2015

BEST Vegan, Gluten Free Multi-grain Multi-seed Brown / Pumpernickel Bread (+MeatlessMonday)


A year ago a posted a recipe for Gluten Free Multiseed Multigrain Sandwich Bread. It was one of the first gluten free bread recipes I'd ever made, and I'd added all kinds of seeds and nuts and mixed flours to make it delicious, and healthy.

Since then that recipe has received over 6,400 views! So thanks everyone, I hope you enjoyed it!

It's still one of my all-time favourite recipes. But it has one hitch - it calls for eggs and milk powder. I don't mind so much, but others do. And since I buy free-range eggs - which are more expensive - I like to preserve my eggs when I can!

So the other day I was out of eggs AND bread, and decided it was time to try and convert the recipe... and it worked!! And guess what? This version is xanthan gum free, too!!


As I said in the original recipe - I make this bread on this Black & Decker Convection Bread Maker that has a gluten free setting. I imagine that it could be made in most breadmakers on the gluten free setting, or by creating a special setting on your machine.

The difference with a GF setting is that there is only 1 rising, whereas most regular breads rise twice and take longer to make.


I have not tried making this bread without my breadmaker. What I can say is that it mixes for 13 minutes, rises for 14 minutes, then bakes for 52 minutes (I'm not sure what temp that is, though). 
 
It makes a 1.5 lb loaf that makes about 15 thin slices. It's a really sturdy bread that serves well for sandwiches and toast. It's not crumbly or  dry or gummy (although the dough appears more gummy than regular bread. Don't worry, that's normal!) 




Ingredients for Vegan, Gluten Free Multi-grain, Multi-seed Pumpernickel Bread (makes 1 loaf)


1 1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1 cup tapioca starch
1 Tbsp cocoa powder

3 Tbsp ground flax meal
2 Tbsp psyllium husk
Mix of poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds, and/or whole millet grains (up to 1/4 cup total) 
4 1/2 tsp active dry yeast (I just use plain old Fleischmann's active dry yeast, nothing fancy like the quick rise or breadmaker yeast)

1 cup warm dairy-free milk of choice
1/2 cup warm water
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp cider vinegar
3 Tbsp molasses



Directions


1. Sift together dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. 



2. Place the paddle inside the bread pan. Add in the wet ingredients. Then top with dry ingredients. Turn on machine to gluten free setting or custom setting. 



Once done, remove from the pan and cool. Slice as desired. This bread freezes wonderfully - slice the bread and freeze in a bag. Pull off slices as needed and defrost. 
Simple as that! 




Tips:  



* To prevent any lumps or flour left along the side of the pan, use a spatula to work under the mix during the mixing setting, and along the sides. Watch out for the moving paddle! 

* If the paddle is removable, take it out as soon as the mixing cycle is complete to prevent a gaping hole inside the centre of the bread.



Do you have a favorite vegan, GF bread recipe? Link it up in the comments if so!








Have you checked out my gluten free pasta book  Recipes for Unusual Gluten Free Pasta: Pierogis, Dumplings, Desserts and More! ? Get yourself a copy and start making GF won tons, pierogis, dumplings, and orzo today :)  

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOBSVDI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KOBSVDI&linkCode=as2&tag=pooandglufr03-20&linkId=XQEAIRXIVZUMBNGU







This post was shared on the following great link parties: Allergy Free Wednesday, Waste Not Want Not Wednesday,

3 comments:

  1. this sounds really yummy! I will have to try it sans breadmaker for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do, please let me know how it turns out! I'm pretty sure it would work out fine, I just haven't tried it yet.

      Delete
  2. 1/4 cup seeds? Haha, I'm cramming about 3/4 cup seeds in there! Oh goodness, this sounds delish. Gonna have to make it my next loaf. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...