The ads on this page help pay for tea, coffee, and the odd fancy ingredient

Friday, November 27, 2015

Easy Gluten Free Pear Galette / Rustic French Pie


I wanted to post this a while back but have been far too busy trying to finish off In the Temple of Mehyt, the 2nd novel in my Ancient Egyptian Romances series. The good news is that it's off to the printer's, and I expect within a few days I'll be holding the proof copy in my hands!!

This galette is like a pie, but really even simpler. It's very easy to throw together, and isn't nearly as fancy as it sounds. It's just a simple French-style pie. Pears, sprinkled with cinnamon and a bit of sugar and a splash of lemon juice, spread over a galette / pie crust and folded up, then baked. That's all there is to it.

I've served it a few times now, to both friends and family, so I hope you and your friends and family enjoy it, too!



And of course, this galette - being a French recipe - makes me think of the horrible recent events in Paris, and my heart goes out to everyone there, as well as all the recent attacks in other parts of the world, like Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, and Africa. Paris, while near to my heart as a place that I was in earlier this year, is only one sad example of a much more widespread problem.


But rather than dwell on such things today (I may another day, however!) I'll just share this pie recipe, because food can bring people together and be a comfort. And this pear galette brought my friends and I together during my birthday party last month over a table full of food I hope it does the same for you.



Also, you may notice that my tea towels are Paris-themed. I made them using these Paris-themed rubber stamps.  Sooner, rather than later, I will put together a tutorial on how I made them and share it with you :)  


 Ingredients for Gluten Free Pear Galette (serves 8) 

1 galette crust recipe, chilled 10 minutes


Filling

4 ripe pears, chopped into small chunks, or peeled and thinly sliced (I used this mandoline to get nice even slices, and these safety gloves so I didn't lose a finger ;) )
1 1/2 Tbsp white rice flour
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp salt

Optional Glaze

1 Tbsp honey (or maple syrup for vegans)
2 Tbsp hot water


Directions:

Preheat oven to 425F.

1. Toss pear slices with flour, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice, and salt. (I do this by hand, as the pears can be a bit delicate if they're overly ripe).

2. Roll out chilled dough between two sheets of parchment paper, roughly the length and width of a baking sheet. It's easy to do this on parchment paper cut the length and width of the baking sheet, then just slide the galette right onto the baking sheet, parchment paper and all.

3. Arrange pear slices on the sheet, leaving about 1 - 1.5" free on all sides (for a pictorial on this, check on my recipe for Gluten Free Mexican Galette with Chili Lime Black Beans). You may either arrange the slices prettily, as I've done below, or simply spread roughly chopped pear chunks over the dough. Fold dough up over the pear slices / chunks.

4. Bake 15 minutes at 425F, then turn heat down to 350F and bake another 25-30 minutes, until the galette crust is browned.

To make optional glaze: Mix honey and hot water until honey dissolves. Brush over galette crust and pears. Let cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

* This is also divine with vanilla ice cream!



Looking for more pear recipes? 






Have you seen my gluten free pasta book  Recipes for Unusual Gluten Free Pasta: Pierogis, Dumplings, Desserts and More! ? Get yourself a copy and start making GF won tons, pierogis, dumplings, and orzo today :) 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KOBSVDI/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00KOBSVDI&linkCode=as2&tag=pooandglufr03-20&linkId=XQEAIRXIVZUMBNGU

2 comments:

  1. I made this recently with a different crust, and it was delicious! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it, it's one of my favourites :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you so go ahead, leave a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...